Never Discount Before You Diagnose — How to Handle Price Objections Without Dropping Your Price
Never Discount Before You Diagnose How to Handle Price Objections Without Dropping Your Price
I used to panic when buyers said the price was too high.
My stomach would drop.
My mind would immediately go to:
"How much can I discount?"
"What can I throw in for free?"
"How do I save this deal?"
I was wrong.
And that panic was costing me thousands every month.
The Price Objection Lie
Most salespeople believe price objections are about price.
They're not.
Price objections are almost always about one of three things:
Perceived value:
The buyer doesn't see enough value to justify the cost. They're not saying your price is too high. They're saying your value isn't clear enough yet.
Budget reality:
They genuinely don't have the money right now. This is rare but it happens. And if it's true — no amount of selling will change it.
Testing you:
They want to see if you'll fold. If you discount immediately you've just told them your first price was never real. And they'll push for more.
Understanding which one you're dealing with changes everything.
The Question That Changes Everything
When a buyer says "your price is too high"
most reps immediately defend or discount.
Both are wrong.
The right move is to get curious.
"Too high compared to what?"
That one question does three things:
It surfaces the real objection — are they comparing you to a competitor? To their budget? To doing nothing?
It buys you time instead of reacting emotionally you're gathering information.
It puts the buyer in diagnostic mode they have to think instead of just object.
What Happens Next
When you ask "too high compared to what?" one of three things happens:
They name a competitor:
"Company X quoted us less."
Now you know exactly what you're dealing with. You can address the difference directly. What does Company X offer that you don't? What do you offer that they don't?
They reveal budget constraints:
"We only have X budgeted for this."
Now you know their real number. You can either match it with a reduced scope or help them build a business case for more budget.
They admit they haven't done the math:
"Honestly we haven't fully calculated what this problem is costing us."
This is the most common response. And it's the most powerful opportunity.
The Value Calculation
When a buyer admits they haven't calculated the cost of their problem that's your moment.
Stop selling.
Start calculating.
Together.
Ask:
"Can we do a quick exercise? How many hours per week does your team spend on this problem?"
They answer.
"And what's the average hourly cost of your team?"
They answer.
"So that's X hours times Y cost times 52 weeks. That's roughly Z per year in lost productivity alone. Does that sound right?"
They confirm.
"And that's before we factor in the revenue impact. What's a conservative estimate of deals lost or delayed because of this problem?"
By the end of this exercise they've calculated the cost themselves.
In their own numbers.
Using their own words.
And suddenly your price doesn't look high anymore.
It looks like an investment with a clear return.
The Negotiation Principle
Here's what I learned after losing too many deals by discounting too early:
Never give something without getting something.
If you must discount trade don't surrender.
"We can adjust the price. But I'd need a longer commitment in return."
We can reduce the scope to meet your budget. But I'd need you as a reference account."
"We can work with your timeline. But I'd need a signed agreement by end of month."
Every concession you make should cost them something too.
Otherwise you're not negotiating.
You're surrendering.
And buyers lose respect for salespeople who surrender.
The Bottom Line
Price objections are a test.
They're testing whether you believe in your own value.
The rep who folds immediately signals:
"I never believed my price was fair."
The rep who gets curious and diagnoses signals:
I know exactly what this is worth. Let me help you see it too."
That confidence is what closes deals at full price.
Never discount before you diagnose.
Get The Precision Close the complete field manual for B2B sales professionals: https://selar.com/74ud0775j6 ]
Free PDF — 3 Questions I Ask After Losing 14 Deals: [ https://selar.com/67frz4bek6]

Comments
Post a Comment