Your Lost Deals Are Trying To Tell You Something. Are You Listening?

Your Lost Deals Are Trying To Tell You Something. Are You Listening?



Most salespeople do the same thing after losing a deal.


They move on.


New deal. New prospect. New hope.


And they repeat the exact same mistakes.


Over and over again.


For years.


Here's the truth:


Your lost deals are the most valuable data you own.


More valuable than any sales training.

More valuable than any book.


More valuable than any coach.

Because they contain the exact pattern of how YOU specifically lose deals.


Not how salespeople in general lose deals.


YOU.


And until you study that pattern  you'll keep losing the same way.



Let me show you what I mean.


I analyzed three deals that died.


Different industries. Different deal sizes. Different buyers.

Same problem.


Deal One: The Champion Trap


₦280,000 SaaS contract. Healthcare. Twelve month sales cycle.

My champion  let's call her Maria  was enthusiastic from day one.

She brought me to her team. She forwarded my emails to her boss. She said things like "this is exactly what we've been looking for."

I spent nine months nurturing this relationship.


Custom demos. Reference calls. A site visit.


I treated every signal from Maria as progress.


Here's what I missed:

Maria was the Director of Operations. She managed a team of fourteen. She had influence. She had passion.


She did not have budget authority.

The CFO  who I never met, never spoke to, never asked about  controlled the capital expenditure.


Maria's enthusiasm was real. Her ability to spend ₦280,000 was not.

In month ten the CFO killed the deal.


Not because he didn't like the solution.

Because he had never heard of it.


The fix was simple.

One question in month one would have changed everything:


"Who signs the check?"

I never asked it.


Deal Two: The Timeline Mirage


₦450,000 professional services engagement. Manufacturing. Eight month cycle.

My contact said "we need this done by Q2."


I heard "we are buying in Q2."

I built my forecast around it. I told my manager it was commit level. I spent six months on proposals, revisions and executive presentations.


Here's what I missed:

"We need this done by Q2" is not "we will buy by Q2."


It's a wish. A target. A hope.

The real obstacle was the union.


The manufacturing floor had a collective bargaining agreement that required ninety days notice for workflow changes.

The contact knew this. I did not.


Because I never asked:


"What would stop this from moving forward?"

One question. Six months of wasted time.


Deal Three: The Silent Stall


₦175,000 technology upgrade. Financial services. Four month cycle.


Everything looked perfect.

The CTO was engaged. The technical evaluation passed. The proposal was delivered on time. The terms were accepted.


Then silence.

Six weeks of silence.


I sent four follow up emails. Each one more cheerful than the last.

"Just checking in!"


"Wanted to see if you needed anything!"

"Hope we're still on track!"


Here's what was actually happening:

The CTO had chosen me without consulting the CISO — who had a relationship with a competitor.

The CISO was now blocking the deal in the security review.


The CTO didn't know how to tell me his approved deal had become a turf war.

So he went quiet.

And I kept sending cheerful emails into the void.


The fix?

One email after the proposal:

"If anything's off — tell me now. I'd rather get it right than waste your time."

That one line gives them permission to be honest.

I never sent it.


The Pattern


Three deals. Three industries. Three different reps.

Same blindness.


Maria was enthusiastic but powerless.

The Q2 deadline was a target not a commitment.


The final sign off was a stall not a step.

In each case precision would have changed the outcome.

Not by selling harder.

By seeing earlier.


By asking the uncomfortable question in month one instead of discovering the truth in month ten.


Your Failure Archive


Here's what I want you to do right now.

Pick your last three lost deals.


Not the ones you lost to competition.


The ones that just faded.

The ghost deals.

For each one write down:


What I saw: The signals I interpreted as progress


What I missed:The reality I didn't see


The precision gap: Which question would have changed this


The fix: What I'll do differently next time


Keep this document.

Update it every quarter.

The patterns in your losses are more valuable than any sales methodology.

They are your personal map of blindness.


Here's the truth most salespeople never accept:

You don't have a closing problem.

You have a seeing problem.

Fix the sight.

Fix the close.


The reps who win consistently are not the ones with the best pitch.

They are the ones who stopped making the same mistake twice.

They study their losses like a doctor studies case studies.

They look for the pattern.

They find the blind spot.

They fix it.

And they never lose that way again.

Your lost deals are trying to tell you something.


Are you listening?



This article is adapted from The Precision Close: How to Stop Selling and Start Guiding Deals to the Finish Line


Get the book here: ["The field manual for B2B sales professionals who are tired of losing deals they should be winning]


Free PDF — 3 Questions I Ask After Losing 14 Deals: [Get the free ebook instantly ]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Rejection is the Most Valuable Tool in Sales

The 4 Minute Sales Call That Taught Me Everything